Monday, June 15, 2009

What we did with 36 hours to ourselves

I don't normally do this, but i know you'll love it. Here's a smattering of photos from the postponed-because-I-was-postpartum 5 year wedding anniversary getaway:

Joe, having a Rodin moment with The Thinker. I was having a Mona Lisa moment - disappointed with the real deal as seen here:



Cathedral of Our Lady of the Rosary. Too big from the sidewalk to capture the spires. Too late in the day to get to see the inside. Spanish Platteresque motif,
i'm told (whih is why i spelled it incorrectly, right?) Que bella! Tanto impressivo!



Calling home to check on the two older kids, whom we happily abandoned. This is a view of Lake Erie from our resort room. (Yes, i did say resort! Sweet!)



With the third wheel... i mean, third and utterly dependent child - on the bay. Call me stupid, but i never before realized that non-oceanic bodies of water made waves. Such are the things that never cross your mind when you spend all your time obsessing over diapers and kids' hair cuts. It was cool.



A shot of our super sweet, lake-front resort. What a treat!



Leopold with driftwood on the shore at Magee Marsh. It was really, really hard to get him to look at the camera for this one, since all the sea shells became a minor obsession for him. Totally worth the 5 minutes i spent behind the camera saying, "Leopold. Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeopold! Hey, LEOPOLD!!!!!"



Pretty great, no?

Mega shout-out to the sleep-deprived grandparents who cared for Thomas and Rosemarie. Super-duper shout-out to the husband who let me splurge on a bottle of Asti!! Joe, honey, you're the best! No, you are. No, yooooooooooou are!

7 comments:

Nicole Bradica said...

Indeed what a treat! Glad you had a lovely time.

Rachel said...

Your post makes me laugh most heartily because you took your baby on your anniversary getaway... And I can't get the people here to understand why I won't leave my 3-month-old (or my nineteen-month-old for that matter) for several hours with a day care center for a pre-deployment meeting. But... but... it's free!
"If you bring your baby, then everyone else will want to bring their baby," the Family Readiness Officer wrote to me in an email.
"Good," I said to my lifeless screen. Then I firmly explained again that my baby doesn't drink milk from bottles, and my husband will just have to go in my stead. In short this post gets my applause.

Mrs. Reese said...

Hi there! A friend of mine has recommended me to your ring slings. I could not find the email on the blog, so I was wondering how I go about ordering a sling for our soon to be born baby boy. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful time with us! The photos are great! I'm so grateful that you had this opportunity. It is so neat that you have such a grateful heart for Joe & Leopold & the beauty of the time you had together. Mom S>

E said...

Mrs. Reese,

Thank you for your interest in the slings!

You can contact me at
ehriqa6@hotmailSPAM.com (no spam).

Look forward to hearing from you, and God bless you in these last few days of your pregnancy!

Mark Gase said...

If you went to Magee Marsh, please tell me you went just a little further East to see Davis-Besse (Nuclear power plant)... or maybe that doesn't sound as interesting to non-engineers.

E said...

Are the tours free? That's our motivation. ;)

Magee Marsh was cool enough to merit a trip back there sometime, so we'll have to work in the power plant tour then. Thanks for the recommendation! No doubt you've toured it as a Univ. of Toledo grad?