Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Taxation without Representation (alternately titled "Why I'm so Glad Local School Levies Failed.")

Call me bold or a prude or whatever, but I don't think everyone is entitled to a 'free' government education. I understand that education comes with a price tag, and that some people who desire it may not be able to pay in full. In that case, I'm down with the ancient concept of anonymous benefactors.

If a group of citizens chooses to give charitably of their own funds to an educational institute so as to enable a group of children - their own or those of their community - to attend said school, I praise them for their selfless generousity.

But i consider it criminal to garnish - I mean *tax* - the honest wages of any citizen in order to fund these same schools. It's robbery. That's grounds for a totally separate post, and I lay it out only as the foundation for what i'm really trying to say here.

Consider my personal circumstances:

I won't beat a dead horse by reiterating the "I-Pay-Twice-Because-I'm-Sending-MY-Kids-To-Private-Schools-AAaaaaaaaaaaaND-Paying-For-Everyone-In-Town-To-Go-With-The-Taxes-I-Pay" arguement. It's true, and that's robbery as well. But I feel smacked in the face when my money is taken - I mean *taxed* - when I have zero say.

My husband and I live in one town, and own an investment property in another town. You all know that school levies are funded through (an increase in) property taxes, right? Well, because we reside in Town A, we pay property taxes in Town A. We also pay property taxes in Town B because we own property there. Suffice it to say that we are now funding not one but TWO towns' government schools.

That's not all, though.

You all know that you can only vote where you reside, correct? So we vote in Town A. But what happens if Town B wants to vote on a levy that will increase the property taxes I pay on my investment property?

I GET NO VOICE!

I don't get to vote on what Town B does with the money they take from my wages. And what's worse is that the 2 sets of tenants that occupy my apartments - none of whom even PAY property taxes - DO get to vote on what's done with my money. I see this as robbery twice over. Sick. Sick. Sick.

Despite all the nausea, I rejoice today: Town B's school levies failed (by like 46 votes!).

Cue the choir!

8 comments:

Nicole Bradica said...

Whew!! Glad to hear it went down. And I totally agree with you:)

JD said...

As the product of a public school education, and as everybody's favorite bleeding heart liberal, I have a different take on this. We all benefit from public education. But I would hate to be taxed without voting--you should require your tenants to vote according to your conscience!

Ed and Marie said...

If your tenants do not vote with your conscience, you can always pass along a rent raise to accomodate the increase in property tax!

E said...

we've considered it, Marie!

Anonymous said...

it actually tied.
;)

E said...

Dear anon,
Might as well include your name in comments - my apps let me know your url. ;) C'mon, have a little fun and include your name so everyone can join in!

Tied. For now. And until someone sues, which i happen to know is going to happen b/c of the ridiculousness of this case.

Tied. And only beacuse of those nasty little things called 'provisional ballots,' which they never happen to count except under these circumtances.

Seriously, people, if you can't furnish your ID or have enough civic responsibility to change your addressin order to cast a REAL ballot, what the heck? Walk back to your house (not that terribly far from your voting precinct) and get the darn thing.

sheesh.

E said...

JD,
Was wondering if you and i'd be more in agreement with the following:

That everyone benefits from the educated public (versus "that everyone benefits from tehe public educational system as it exists in the US today," with which i disagree.)

Clearly, an educated society is better off than a non-educated society. We only need to look across the ocean or back in history to know that. But my gripe is with, well, exactly what i blogged about.

I'd love to discuss further if you're still following this. Or maybe 'Anon' would like to take the bait?

JD said...

On this particular issue, you're taking the John Courtney Murray position, and I'm taking the deLubac position. We could both certinaly be hapyp with those categorizations!