Friday, March 14, 2008

How to spend $80



I could buy a Baby Hawk Mei Tai carrier from here, or i could buy fabric for $7.99/yard, make my own, and spend the other $72.01 on some much-needed dress shirts for the one who works outside the home.

What kind of woman ISNT satisfied by her ability to be crafty and save money while doing it? And i have to admit that i'm totally pleased with the Tasha Tudor-esque scenes of children playing with blocks/in tree houses/in rose gardens that this pretty piece of flannel features in a muted sage.

Though nothing will ever measure up to the comfort and versatility of my beloved sling, strapping the little ones on the OTHER side of my body has proved to have its advantages when i'm carrying the been-full-of-clean-clothes-and-in-the-basement-for-too-long laundry basket up from the basement.

4 comments:

The mom said...

I absolutely love Mei Tais! I made one in the fall for Ben, and he loved it too... much more than the sling, and I found it to be more comfortable than a sling. I have tons of fabric to make more to sell... I just have to find the time :) Next, I want to try a wrap... yay for babywearing :)

Anonymous said...

I have just learned something new!. I did not know about Mei Tais. The picture is great, but are they for kids as "old" as Thomas? Maybe he's just modeling it. Mom S.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to possibly purchase one, can't seem to find your email...

Maria said...

Awesome job, Erica! (It's Maria Bremberg nee Cordonnier) I have a BIG market for you here in VA if you are interested in making some from sale. I've inspired serious mommy envy since the purchase of my Babyhawk and have lots of friends dying for one of their own. But seriously, who wants to spend $80 on it? Sadly, I am not very crafty and did not feel able to attempt one of my own. But now that I know about your mad skills, you definitely can have my future orders.

Seriously, though, email me if you are interested in selling some. I have at least 3 or 4 moms I know are considering buying one right now. (mc_cordney@hotmail.com)