Friday, October 24, 2008

slow morning

It's early yet - and seems even earlier than it really is due to my late-in-pregnancy sleep deprivation, the effects of which are emphasized all the more by a squirmy nighttime 18 month old who decided to wake extra early this morning. (And she had a really smelly diaper. That somehow makes it worse. I dont know how, but it does. Stop asking me questions.)

But it's okay.

After breakfast and morning prayers, a bit of tickle torture, and bribery with chocolate chip cookies, we're all hanging out in the office. Thomas is lying on his belly, swinging his feet in childhood contentedness, drawing in his favorite coloring book. (He's also admiring the Darth Vadar costume advertised in the latest Toys R Us flyer. I think it's okay if i ignore his comments of awe for the time being.) Rosemarie is swapping red crayons (aka "wed cudders") for blue and orange ones from the purple box on my lap, and has temporarily forgetten about the markers in a nearby drawer. And for that i am grateful. (I hate markers. I already hate laundry, and i hate markers for making me hate marker-stained-laundry even more. I'm grouchy. Where's my coffee?)

And did i mention that my Christmas shopping is officially complete? So is St. Nick prep, and the mid-December birthday boy is taken care of. (Curb your jealousy, if you can). The last of the gifts arrived in the mail yesterday - the kids' big ones (over which i am completely excited!) - and all that is left to do is bake the goodies for distribution to Godparents. So if you come over to my house before the grand Holiday, don't snoop in the hall closet. In fact, don't even turn its doorknob. You'll risk blankets and packages and homebirth supplies spilling out all over you. Nobody should have to deal with that kind of emotional trauma.

So for now, peace reigns at Providence Cottage. The steady, gloomy rain outside adds to the peace and slowness around here. Maybe the dampness will give the husband an excuse not to work outside until dark and we can have a movie night or sit by the woodstove and read? Perhaps the kids will be happy coloring all morning long and i can sneak in a lazy nap? Maybe they'll pile up on top of me just as i'm drifting off and soothe my annoyed jolt with sloppy kisses? (*sigh*) It's a good life, mine.

*

1 comment:

JRH said...

I am glad to hear you are human! I'll add some extra prayers for you at Mass today :).
Chin up :)