Friday, April 17, 2009

Theology - preschool style

"There was nothing, and then... God wanted me."

That phrase, lifted from a retreat talk given by one of my favorite priests of the Community of St. John, is going to be painted onto a plaque and nailed to my kids' bedroom wall.

Why not? It's a basic truth that testifies not only to the dignity of the person, but also to the uniqueness of each soul created and loved by God, and whom He will love and hold in existence forever.

Nothing.
Then me.
Forever.
Why?
Because God wanted me.
He wanted me.
He continues to want me, at every moment, and without end.
He keeps me in existence, and continues to create and love me in a way He's creating and loving noone else, because I am the only me He created.

The phrase is concise and authentic. My preschoolers can understand it already, and on so many levels. So up on their lavender wall it will go, as soon as i can find my acrylic paints.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Very concise and poignant, I like it.

Anonymous said...

Love it, and I reiterated the same talk to my one very fearful child that laments each night that just maybe God will fall asleep and forget about him. I just may copy your wall idea...too cute! cms