Monday, July 09, 2007

I Wasnt After THAT Quick of an Answer

After a wonderful week of hosting a family gathering, the return to the day-to-day hit me hard this morning.

I was exhausted when i rose from bed, and the humidity that arrived yesterday only intensified as the day carried on.

Needless to say, in the midst of grating zucchini, snapping green beans, blanching broccoli, comforting miserably hot infants, changing diapers, making lunch, dragging children to town, hitting the store, and continuing the trend of nap irregularity, i often found myself muttering Antiphon 1 of today's Psalmody: "When will i come to the end of my pilrimage and enter the presence of God?"

When the husband returned from his day of outdoor labor, I sought refuge from the heat and a day of hard work in the coolness of our basement.

Rosemarie was napping.
Thomas was "playing" a board game.
Joe was reading.

So i seized my first opportunity to wallow in self-pity.

I flopped onto the couch and pitifully whined aloud, "When will i come to the end of my pilgrimage and enter the presence of God?!??"

Little did i know that Thomas had abandoned his board game and had moved onto reenacting the deaths of his favorite martyrs, when, upon finishing my pathetic declaration, I was immediately pounced upon by our toddler who said,"Oh! Mommy! You got shot with the arrows like St. Sebastian! Aw... (cue toddler mock sadness) you died, Mommy!"

Finally! An excuse to lay still for a while.

1 comment:

JRH said...

HAHAHA - sometimes God reminds us that He has a sense of humor too! :)